Well, last week was a hectic and scary one.
On Tuesday night my daughter got into a bag of trail mix and did her best impression of cookie monster. When we tried to curb her enthusiasm for raisins and peanuts she threw a tantrum and began choking on what was in her mouth. This made her all red in the face. She finally spit out some things and eventually vomited on the dining room floor. She was very upset, naturally so was I, but finally she stopped crying and her complexion went back to normal.
But she still sounded wheezy so I made her a bottle of milk and my husband looked after her while I tried to finish dinner. When she finished the bottle she still wasn’t breathing right so we went to the closest hospital emergency room. They took x-rays of her neck, but didn’t find anything and sent us home.
On Wednesday my daughter sounded worse. The wheezing sounded wet and flemy and she developed a cough. After a little Googling and a quick call to her pediatrician, we decided around 9:30 that night to take her to another hospital.
She was quickly taken back into the emergency room and given new x-rays of her chest. They discovered a questionable area in her upper right lung that looked like pneumonia. Though my daughter was behaving like a normal toddler: running around the room, grabbing things she wasn’t supposed to, smiling, they decided to admit her to the hospital and she was scheduled for a Bronchoscope on Thursday morning.
I stayed the night with her and she slept with me in the hospital chair, because she couldn’t get comfortable with an I.V., heart monitor and blood-oxygen thingy strapped to her body. It was an extremely long night. We didn’t get much sleep, but luckily I had family come by in the morning to help me out.
At 10:30 the prep team came for her and I carried my one-and-a-half year old down to the O.R. I’m sure the hospital staff all thought I was crazy. I was crying so much because I knew they were going to have to put my baby to sleep in order to perform the procedure of putting a tube down her throat and using utensils to scrape out her lung. They all kept telling me it was routine stuff and not to worry, but I’m a mother, it’s what I do best.
It made me cry even more when they put an arm band on my daughter’s favorite stuffed animal so she could take him back with her and wake up with him when it was all done.
All-in-all, the procedure took about fifteen minutes and the doctor pulled a chip of peanut from her lung. About thirty minutes after that I was taken down to see her as she was waking up, clinging tightly to Green Monkey.
This is our second trip to St. Mary’s Hospital in my daughter’s short life–she had an infected tear duct when she was two weeks old–and they are always so kind and helpful. My little girl is recovering nicely, still has a little cough, but otherwise is in perfect health.
Thank goodness for modern technology and skilled doctors.